Here is a very easy feel-good breath meditation you can do anywhere, anytime.
First, just set the intention to sit quietly for a moment. Turn your attention inwards to your body and give yourself permission to ‘be on your own’ just for a few moments.
- Gently close your eyes and lips. Relax the muscles in your face, including your jaw muscles.
- Now, observe your breathing. Notice your breath. Just observe, but don’t judge your breath (ie: Don’t think ‘my breathing is so shallow or jumpy’eath. Instead, just notice it without the internal dialogue).
- Now, ask yourself: ‘What type of breathing would feel really good right now?’.
- Taking long, slow deep inhalations will invigorate.
- Taking long, slow deep exahalations will relax.
- Select one of these, based on what your mind and body need in this particular moment. Or, pick your own type of breathing.
- Do this for a minute or two, or as long as your time permits. You can even change your breathing and play with different breaths moment to moment.
- When you’re done, just take a few natural breaths before completing this mindful moment of breathing.
This is a beautiful breath meditation that allows the freedom to provide what your mind and body need in the moment.
Enjoy this special break in your day.
~Wendy Quan, of The Calm Monkey