I feel a level of sadness when I notice how every single day I have people telling me how overwhelming their lives are. I hear:
- “My life is just so busy, I don’t have time for anything!”
- “There’s not enough hours in the day to do everything.”
- “I know I put this onto myself. It’s me who creates the pressure to do everything, but…”
- “I’m exhausted.”
I’m certainly not immune to feeling this way either sometimes and it does take work to keep a good perspective in check. Here are some tips that may help if you are feeling this way:
- First, take a breath. Honestly, this may sound silly, but your breath is always available to you even on the busiest of days. Pause and take some slow, conscious breaths. This will help ground yourself in the present moment and give you a mental break from your busy day. It feels so good to just breathe.
- Adopt an attitude of “There is exactly enough time to do what’s important in my life.” When you change your perspective and take on a different attitude towards your life, your experience of life changes. Say this quietly to yourself several times, then see how you feel.
- Take a mindful approach using Tara Brach’s RAIN.
I am a work-in-progress, but I am making progress! Through self-awareness and making conscious choices, I know that the important things in life will happen as and when they should. I go with the flow of life.
Life is about the present moment, and ensuring we don’t let these moments pass by unnoticed because we are too busy trying to get somewhere else.
Wishing you all the best,