I only share the best-of-the-best recipes! My criteria for sharing is that it is easy, tastes great and is healthy.
You may have heard of roasted kale chips? Kale is one of the best foods you can eat. This is a recipe that roasts kale in the oven to produce an excellent, crispy, tasty snack. I have converted many kale-avoiding friends into kale-chip-lovers!
There are many kale recipes out there, but over the years I have perfected the recipe. The main secrets are: not to use high oven heat (like most recipes unfortunately advise), and to use parchment paper on the pans so it roasts evenly and quickly.
- 1 bunch green kale (organic preferred)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ‘Bragg’ nutritional yeast seasoning (use roughly 4-5 Tbsp, this is optional but very highly recommended!)
- Combine olive oil, crushed garlic & salt for dressing in a large mixing bowl.
- Wash kale. Cut out stems. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Use your hands to break the kale into small bite-sized pieces.
- Toss kale with dressing – use your hands to ensure kale is coated with the dressing.
- Put into parchment-lined baking pans – it cooks much faster & evenly by using parchment paper. You may need 3 pans as ideally you want a single layer of kale, as opposed to piling it on the pan.
- Use a spoon to sprinkle on the Bragg’s nutritional yeast. See the above photo.
- Bake at 290F for 15-20 min. Carefully monitor the kale as all ovens differ – it should be crispy, not soggy and not brown as brown means it’s starting to burn. Add a bit more roasting time as necessary. I find the roasting time varies between 15-20 min depending on how much moisture the kale may have.
Storage: If you have leftovers, I find it is best to leave it uncovered (or loosely covered), and not to seal it in a tight container or with plastic wrap, as this makes it soggy the next day.
Bragg’s nutritional yeast is something fairly new to me. It sounds rather odd, and is found in grocery stores that carry healthy foods. It contains all healthy ingredients and adds an awesome cheesy flavour, with no salt! It is a wonderful, versatile seasoning worth checking out!