Remember when someone brightened your day by doing something meaningful and uplifting for you? It may have been something simple, like going out of their way to help carry something for you because your hands were full, or maybe it was something more meaningful like a co-worker telling you how much they enjoy working with you.
It’s so simple to do, but have you boosted someone’s day recently? I mean doing something noticeably meaningful, not just a kind comment like ‘that outfit looks great on you’.
Here are some ideas:
- Really grab the attention of someone you speak to often – maybe it’s your co-worker, your friend, your significant other, your daughter – halt your conversation and say “I want to tell you something”, look her straight in the eye, and say something meaningful. Such as: tell her why she is important in your life, or what she is doing that’s making a positive difference. Doing this in a fashion that is atypical to how you normally interact will capture her attention and make her take notice.
- Choose someone that looks sad or weary. Make them laugh.
- Tell a someone who has provided you with good service how much you appreciated their service and that it made your day.
- Help out a stranger – offer to someone with a small purchase to jump in line before you at the grocery store. Offer to help someone who looks lost. Smile.
- Say ‘hello’ as you pass by someone walking along a sidewalk.
Living in a busy western society, I sure notice that the bigger the city is, the less personable people appear to be. Living in Vancouver, British Columbia, people generally ignore each other while walking down the street, and drivers are largely inconsiderate, so when someone behaves in a friendly way, I certainly notice and appreciate it.
Just like the saying, ‘if you want peace in the world, start by making peace in your own life first’. So boost someone’s day every day, and allow it to come back to you. Notice how usually the person smiles and sends the positive energy right back at you.