One thing that brings me joy at this time of year is one of our traditions – making home-made almond roca that is definitely not on the healthy eating list (and for those of you who know me, you know this is an indulgence for me!).
I’d like to share my recipe for Home-Made Almond Roca. It’s flat, like almond bark that you bake, freeze, then break-up into pieces. It’s easy and awesome! And people LOVE this! The other treat pictured above on the left are Merry Orbs – a fantastic healthy chocolate/peanut butter treat.
Almond Roca – Ingredients
- 35 crackers (I use unsalted Premium Plus crackers)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (I use raw cane sugar)
- 2 cups choc chips
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Line a cookie pan with tin foil (the type of cookie pan that has ridges around the edges). Place crackers side by side to cover the bottom of the pan.
- In a pot, melt butter and slowly add the brown sugar, slowly bring to a boil and lightly boil 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the sugar/butter mixture over the crackers and even out with a spatula.
- Bake in oven at 350 for 10 – 12 minutes. Enjoy watching it bubble!
- Take out the pan, and use a fork to rearrange the crackers so they are straight and tightly touch each other.
- While it’s still hot, sprinkle chocolate chips on top, let melt for 5 minutes and use a knife to spread the chocolate evenly (the funnest part!).
- Sprinkle almonds on top of the chocolate.
- Put the pan in the freezer, wait until hardened (maybe about an hour; leaving it in longer is not a problem).
- Then breakup into chunks using your hands.
It is best to store these in the freezer, otherwise it melts and gets too soft.